Kendo Guide for Beginners
Instructional Videos and Manuals
These videos cover everything you need to know as a beginner. At the moment, I have 4 videos and one book for beginners.
- "Kendo Basics I" shows you etiquette and manners.
- "Kendo Basics II" shows you all the footwork you need to know as a beginner.
- "Kendo Basics III" shows all the basic exercises you should know as a beginner.
- "Kendo Guide for Complete Beginners" shows the important parts and tips of kendo basics introduced above. This comes with written instructions in PDF files for you to download.
- "Kendo Guide for Beginners Book": Together with the videos, this book enhances your kendo study.
Who needs these products
"Have you just started kendo?"
"Nowhere to learn but want to start learning kendo?"
Then these are for you. All these products are simply made to help you to learn and understand the kendo basics that involves Japanese culture and the movements that you are not quite familiar with.
So if you consider yourself as a beginner, these products are for you.
What is in each video and written manual?
Kendo Basics I
This “Kendo Basics I: Getting Ready for Kendo Training” gives you what you need to know in order for you to start training. It includes etiquette and manner, which is very important in kendo.
Kendo carries Japanese cultural and historical values and etiquette and manner are the most important part of kendo. Without them, we cannot call it kendo.
This video includes:
1. Introduction: Line-Up,
2. Sitting in Seiza,
3. Sitting in Seiza: Closer Look,
4. Sitting in Seiza with Bokutō,
5. Seiza & Mokusō,
6. Sitting Bow,
7. Beginning of Training at a Glance,
8. Finishing Up Training,
9. Finishing Up at a Glance,
10. How to Stand & Shizentai,
11. Standing Bow,
12. Taitō: Wearing Your Sword,
13. Nuketō: Drawing Out Your Sword and
Kendo Basics II
This “Kendo Basics II: Solo Training 1” gives you lessons mainly on footwork. Without good footwork, you cannot reach your opponent. Without good footwork, you cannot parry your opponent’s strikes. You must study kendo footwork very well so you can improve your kendo quickly.
This video includes:
1. Learning Chūdan
2. Basic Feet Position
3. Footwork: Ashi-Sabaki
4. Key Footwork: Suri-Ashi & Okuri-Ashi
7. Hiraki-Ashi: Closer Look
8. Okuri-Ashi Practice
9. Okuri-Ashi: Closer Look
10. Ashi-Sabaki with Shinai
Kendo Basics III
This “Kendo Basics III: Solo Training 2” gives you lessons on striking drills that you can do on your own. We call these exercises “Tandoku Dōsa”. You learn the basic footwork in “Kendo Basics II: Solo Training 1”. And now you can learn how to strike together with the footwork. Every single kendo practitioner must know these drills. So please learn thoroughly.
This video includes:
1. Intro: Tandoku Dōsa
3. Zenshin Kotai Jōge-buri
4. Pay Attention to Grip
5. Sayū Jōge-buri
6. Sayū Jōge-buri: Closer Look
7. Zenshin Kōtai Naname Jōge-buri
8. Shōmen Uchi
9. Zenshin Kōtai Shōmen Uch In Action
10. Shōmen Uchi Important Points
11. Sayū -men Uchi
12. Zenshin Kōtai Sayū -men Uchi In Action
13. Improve Coordination - Kyodō Men –
14. San-Kyodō Shōmen Uchi
15. Ni-Kyodō & Ikkyodō Shōmen Uchi
16. Explaining Kote & Dō Strike
17. Kote Strike
18. Kote Strike Important Points
19. Dō Strike
20. Dō Strike Important Points
21. Niho-Zenshin Niho-Kotai Shōmen Uchi
22. Kote & Men Strike
23. Kote & Men Strike In Action
24. Kote & Dō Strike
25. Haya Suburi
26. Haya Suburi: Closer Look
Kendo Basics Set
This “Kendo Basics Set of I, II and III” consists of etiquette, basic footwork and striking drills, which is what you all need to know and get you started right away.
You will get all the contents from Basic I, II and III.
Kendo Guide Book
Amazon Customer Reviews Screen Shot
Kendo Guide for Complete Beginners
This series is to help and complete your kendo training with Kendo Guide for Beginners videos and book. It is designed so you can train your kendo skills at home. With extra videos and written instructions, it is even clearer what you should be focusing on.
Every single video is for you to learn kendo more efficiently outside the dojo. Mind you that these are complementary study materials of Kendo Basics I, II and III videos and Kendo Guide for Beginners book.
- Do This First!
- The Core Idea of the Course
- Your Goals: What Do You Need to Achieve?
- Meaning of the Dojo
- Appearance (Chakusō)
- Kendo Terminology 1
- Kendo Terminology 2
- Shizentai (Natural Posture)
- How to Sit in Seiza
- How to Sit in Seiza_ Extra
- Sitting Bow
- Standing Bow: Ritsurei
- How to Take Chūdan
- Understanding Tenouchi
- Footwork Tips
- Footwork Tips: Suri-Ashi & Okuri-Ashi
- Footwork: Tsugi-Ashi & Ayumi-Ashi
- Footwork Tips: Hiraki Ashi
- Subiri Tips: Jōge-buri
- Subiri Tips: Naname Jōge-buri
- Suburi Tips: Shōmen Men Uchi & Sayū Men Uchi
- Subiri Tips: Haya Suburi
- Kote Strike
- Do Strike
- Consecutive Strikes
dVD or Digital?
Kendo Basics series are available in DVD format and digital format. You can buy the DVDs at Amazon.Com. If you cannot buy them from Amazon, you can buy the digital ones at Vimeo.
What are the benefits of buying them amazon.com?
As long as you are in the area of that Amazon.com will deliver, you can purchase the DVDs and the book at the same time, and you can get them together and delivered to your home. The book is available in Kindle as well.
What are the benefits of the digital version?
If you are living in the area that Amazon.com won’t deliver the physical products, you can purchase the digital versions. The benefits of the digital versions are;
- You can access to the products immediately after your purchase.
- You can download them into your favorite device and watch them anytime you want.
- You can also watch them online anytime as long as you have the Internet connection.
You can watch the instruction videos with your smartphone, tablet and smart TV. You can also download these videos.
You create an account with Vimeo.Com and start watching anytime anywhere as long as you have one of these devices.
For more detail how to watch the video, please visit "Watching your On Demand videos". This is the best option if you cannot purchase the DVD version at Amazon.Com.