carpal tunnel syndrome

by Guillermo

Dear Masahiro (Hiro) Imafuji.

My name is Guillermo, I'm from Argentina, and I’m 45 years old. I've practiced kendo for about six years, but in 2010 I leave it because I started to suffer carpal tunnel syndrome.

I really want to practice again, but the doctors say that I shouldn't. Do you know some kind of exercise or technic I could practice to treat this illness and start kendo again? Thank you very much for your time and consideration.

Answer: First of all, and I always say this, please consult with your doctor. And I do not know any exercise or technic you should try.

Here is what I do. I have a lot of old injuries and I still suffer from the pains before/during/after training.

After training, I ice my shoulders and left knee. And I take protein after training. It feels like it helps to decrease the pain I would have the next day.

Find a good doctor/chiropractor/massage therapist/acupuncturist/ who actually cares about you. Find those who can take a pain away so you can do physiotherapy. This is first thing you need to do, I think.

If you have a pain, you cannot even do physiotherapy.

After exercise, icing is a must.

Hope this helps.

Comments for carpal tunnel syndrome

Average Rating starstarstarstarstar

Click here to add your own comments

Jul 11, 2014
Might help...
by: Amos Brooks

I have had some minor symptoms carpal tunel inflammation. For me ice helped some. Massaging the area helped too. Mild stretching seems to be the biggest help for me. The key as always with stretching is not to overdo it because that can make it worse. Also if it hurts stop doing it for a while. Let the swelling subside before picking up the shinai again. Also try not to hold the shinai too tight. (Not too loose either) Over tensing the muscles will aggravate the injury. (It's not really good form either.)

Kendo-Guide.Com: Thanks for sharing your advice! Not overdoing. Cannot agree with that more!

Apr 28, 2014
carpal tunnel syndrome
by: Anonymous

thank you very much for the advise. My problem is that I'm professional illustrator, so, the pain in the hands and fingers are a serious trouble for my day work.

thanks anyway. I'll try to consult a sport specialist medic.

domo arigato

Apr 26, 2014
by: Anonymous

Dear Guillermo-san, the traditional therapy for CTS is immobilization with a splinter and eventually surgery. Even NSAIDs are controversial. Of course physiotherapy is very important. Ice could be of some help. It would be better for you to look for a Sports Medicine doctor rather than an Traumatologist or a Regular Surgeon.

J. Villaran, MD

Kendo-Guide.Com Thank you for your advice! It is good for us all!

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Kendo Work Shop.