Bokuto Ni Yoru Kendo Kihon Waza Keiko Ho
by Valery Serezhkin
Would you be so kind to tell about Bokuto Ni Yoru Kendo Kihon Waza Keiko Ho (Bokuto Keiko Ho)? Everything is interesting. History of inventing, quantity of forms, the order of forms etc.
Answer: Thank you for your post.
Bokuto ni yoru Kendo Kihon Waza Keiko Ho was officially presented by All Japan Kendo Federation (AJKF) in June 2001. It was made for kendo beginners.
According to resource I have, then President of AJKF, MORISHIMA Takeo sensei, mentions three fundamental goals in the preface of the official Bokuto Keiko Ho booklet published by AJKF.
Bokutō Keiko Hō
- To have kendo practitioners understand the concept of nihontō.
- To have kendo practitioners learn kendo basic movements by bokutō and make it possible to learn more advanced techniques.
- To make it easier to shift to Nihon Kendo Kata.
is somewhat flexible. In kata
, we should follow the predetermined movements exactly.
We are not allowed to change the direction of the blade for example in Bokutō Keiko Hō,
depending on your level. Techniques included in BokutōKeiko Hō
- Single cuts: Men, Kote, Dō, Tsuki
- Two continuous cuts: Kote and Men
- Harai waza: Harai Men (using omote the left side of your sword)
- Hiki waza: Hiki Dō (the right dō)
- Nuki waza: Men Nuki Dō (the right dō)
- Suriage waza: Kote Suriage Men(using ura the right side of your sword)
- Debana waza: Debana Kote
- Kaeshi waza: Men Kaeshi Dō (the right dō)
- Uchiotoshi waza: Dō Uchiotoshi Men (the right dō)
There are some videos of Bokuto Kihon Ho in the Subscribers' only area
.Bokutō Keiko Hō
video from All Japan Kendo Federation.
Subscribe to Newsletter and
Join The Study Group
Simply click the image below or click here and follow the instructions.